Braised Cabbage and Sausage Recipe
|Sausage And Cabbage|
I know you will wrinkle your nose about cabbage, but trust me this recipe will turn you into a cabbage fan.
Do your self a favour, try it! Cabbage is not only very good for you, but very economical and this recipe is easy to make.
The ingredients are as follows (for 3-4 people):
- 1tbs (15ml) of Butter
- 1tbs (15ml) of Canola Oil
- 2 thick slices of bacon, chopped (leave out if you are going vegetarian)
- 1 medium sized onion - copped
- 1 large apple, pealed and chopped
- 1 head of cabbage (6" or 15 cm in diameter), cut in half then sliced in ¼" strips or slices. Don't worry to much if they you cut them larger or smaller.
- 1 Coil of your favourite sausage, cut into 2" (5 cm) pieces. (leave out if you are going vegetarian)
|Cabbage and Sausage|
In a 4-6 liter/quart pot add the butter, oil and bacon. Saute for 2 minutes then add the onion and the apple. Cook for another 3-5 minutes.
Now add the cabbage and the sausage. Simmer on low to medium for about 30-45 minutes. Toss every 5-10 minutes. That's it, your done!
Wine Pairing and Recommendation:
Forget wine, a good beer will do just fine or a good apple cider.
If you are like my wife and do not like beer, a glass of water is great or if you insist on wine, go with an Chardonnay like the Un-Oaked Chaberton Chardonnay from the Okanagan Valley in British Columbia, or as Joe Power on Wine Blog suggests, try a Sauvignon Blanc.
Red Wine. Not likely, myself, I think a red is out of the question, the tannins will over power the cabbage.
Kiss the Cook,